The roots of quality
Castiglione dates back to the ancient Rome, and is in fact born as a roman village. During the Middle Ages it became a possession of the Marquises of Saluzzo, who erected an imposing quadrangular fortress on the surrounding hills. Having become a possession of several feudal families of the Aleramici dinasty, Castiglione then belonged to the french who held it until 1601, year in which the Treaty of Lyon declared the town as property of the Savoy.
From that moment onwards, Castiglione kept being Piedmontese territory of the House of Savoy up to the Unification of Italy. From the religious standpoint it belonged to the diocese of Alba since its foundation; in 1511 it became part of the Diocese of Saluzzo, then passed to Asti at the time of the reform carried out by Napoleon and, in 1817, returned to the diocese of Alba. The name “Falletto” was inserted in 1589, when the Falletti family took its lordship.